I was reading one of my magazine subscriptions ‘in the moment’ which I have reviewed on this blog and I found this brilliant article about rose water and I thought I would share it.
Why use Rose water?
The tradition of using rose water as medicine and tonic dates as far back as the 7th century when it was used in Iran and the Middle East to treat a host of different ailments. Rose water also has a very interesting culinary history, flavouring both sweet and savoury dishes most often recognised in Turkish delight.
The best quality rose water is created through a single distillation of rose petals in steam, this contains all the essential oils from the roses making it wonderfully fragrant, pure with no additives chemicals or preservatives.
Most commercial rose water however, is a by-product of the rose oil industry. Roses are distilled and the oil extracted from the distilled liquids, it is made this way because distillation is an expensive process and as a result many rose scents and flavourings in mass produced rose water are synthesized- the final rose water product being a shadow of its former self.
Pure rose water is amazing stuff and far better!
I bet you didn’t know that rose petals are nutritionally dense, containing vitamins a b c and E and they are packed with a host of powerful antioxidants, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory qualities.
- Radiant skin: rosewater is used as skin care as it’s naturally occurring antioxidants help to keep skin nourish and it healthy by protecting skin cells against damage and boosting our skins ability to protect us from pollution and UV radiation from the sun. Its anti-inflammatory properties also make rosewater very helpful in treating specific skin conditions like eczema and rosacea as it has a cooling effect, soothing irritation. It is an antiseptic and antimicrobial which can also be used as an effective acne treatment killing off the bacteria and helping to heal scars.
I had never heard of this when I was reading this article, I suffer with acne due to my polycystic ovary syndrome I definitely want to give rosewater a try, pure rose water of course.
2. Stress and low mood: rosewater is recognised for its antidepressants and anti anxiety properties.
😮😮😮 《– This was my exact reaction when I was reading this part of the article about how rose water can help stress and low mood.
Another reason why I want to try it. 😍😍⚘⚘
A 2009 us study found that inhaling rose water or rose essential oils can help relax us by significantly decreasing our breathing rate and heart rate which is essential with people with anxiety and depression, as this can often make them feel unwell and increase other symptoms that adjoining these conditions.
The participants in the study reported feeling more relaxed, calmer and less alert through using rose water or rose essential oils; for this reason rose essential oils are used in aromatherapy with people who have anxiety and depression.
3. Headaches and migraines: rose water commonly used in aromatherapy also has the ability to help with migraines and headaches due to its relaxing properties. More studies are needed but from the study above of how rose water helps with stress and low mood, it is believed that rose water can help alleviate headaches and migraines.
4. Digestion: sweet rose water has been found to have a soothing effect on our digestive system, easing bloating and minor stomach upsets and constipation. Simply adding a few drops to some tonic can do the trick.
5. Flavour: rose water was the choice of flavouring for bakers a century ago, rather than the vanilla extract we use now. Its sweet floral flavour is making a triumphant come back. Rose water accompanies strawberries, apples, peach, citrus, almonds and chocolate.
Check out these great recipes below:
The UK’s only home-produced pure rose water.
Their business is called ‘ Petals of the valley’ and suiting to the name they are based in wonderful Wales! 🏴🏴🏴💗💗🙏🙏
They seem like the ultimate wonder women. It is so refreshing and empowering to see women set up a successful business and produce something so wonderful.
Their rose water is not only UK home produced but…
You can buy their wonderful products at:
Here is a selection of their amazing products.
I am definitely going to adapt rose essential oils into my aromatherapy to help with my anxiety and depression AND pure rose water LOCALLY SOURCED into my skin regime to help with my hormonal acne and from tops wonderful ladies too.
I am definitely going to purchase some.
What a wonderful discovery. Thanks ‘in the moment’ magazine.
I hope you enjoyed this read and will think of buying some too.
Until next time.
#holistic #holisticmedicine #rose #roses #flowerpower #naturalremedies #depressionandanxietyremedies #buylocal #welshbusinesses #womeninbusiness #nature #natureswonders #flowers #magazines #skincare #health